From the Chair
Term 4 has just started and it’s the busiest programme of courses and workshops I can remember. We’re doing a lot of catch-up for sessions missed due to Level 2 and 3 restrictions so I expect The Learning Centre to be very busy for the next 4-6 weeks. Elaine still has places on most courses so have a look at what’s on offer and give her a call.
We’ve received Council’s permission to install 4 bike racks outside The Learning Centre. We’ve noticed that a number of our members are using two wheels to come to Matai Rd and with summer just around the corner, we’re pleased to offer somewhere you can securely leave your transport while you’re attending meetings, courses and workshops. Everything has been ordered and I would expect the racks to be available within a fortnight.
The SeniorNet Federation has just signed a new sponsorship agreement with AMI Insurance. Our Chief Executive (Heather) has worked very hard to get this sorted and earlier this week all AMI customers who match the SeniorNet demographic (>55yrs) were advised that they are entitled to free membership of their local SeniorNet Learning Centre for 1 year. AMI are moving their insurance business online and they see us as the ideal partner organisation to assist their customers with computer technical matters. As you already know, that’s what we do best so this is a great fit for both organisations – we get new members and they pass over the “techie stuff” to the experts! We’ve already had several inquiries passed on to us from the 0800 line and expect many more over the coming months.
Existing AMI Customers who are already members of SeniorNet Kapiti will also be able to benefit from this offer. We will be in contact with you all shortly to outline how you can get a free membership renewal at SeniorNet too.
With the entire country in COVID-19 Level 1, we are free to hold all our classes and workshops face-to-face again. That also means we can have a cuppa AND chocky bikkies during the break! Seriously though, we still have to be on the alert so the following guidelines still apply;
- All students, tutors and visitors are requested to log in using the COVID-19 Tracer App QR Code on the entrance door (or above the entrance table). If you don’t use the Tracer App, ask someone to help you get it working or just make sure your name is recorded on the attendance sheet every time you visit.
- Please feel free to use the sanitiser provided in The Learning Centre and remember the rules of hand hygiene
- Finally, if you’re unwell or exhibiting any COVID-like symptoms, please don’t come to The Learning Centre. Just call us and leave a message on our answerphone (04) 299 0754
I look forward to seeing you around The Learning Centre in the coming months and most definitely at the Christmas Function (details below).
Chair, SeniorNet Kapiti Inc.
Christmas Function – Make a Diary Note now!!
A date has been set for our Christmas function – 9 December 4:00pm to 6:00pm. Please put this in your diary – we’re looking forward to seeing you. You’ll receive a formal invite nearer the time but please keep that afternoon free.
Google Hangouts (Online Learning)
Several of our Tutors are involved in the Google sponsored project for Video Learning that’s being managed by The SeniorNet Federation. This concept has the potential to allow us to share our skills and interests with the wider seniors community and especially people who can’t physically get to a Learning Centre for classes.
Term 4 Timetable is now out
Our Term 4 timetables are available from our web site here
- Several Internet Banking workshops to meet burgeoning demand
- Several Scam workshops to help you stay safe
- A new Word course that uses the free online version of Microsoft Word
- A brand new Managing Photos course that uses the free (Microsoft) Photos App that is built into Windows 10. This is an alternative to Picasa and works almost as well.
- A workshop to give you ideas on how to make an exciting and vibrant Christmas Newsletter.
We encourage you to contact Elaine (email SNKBookings@gmail.com or phone 021 169 6256) early to ensure that there is a place for you on the course or workshop of your choice.
AMI is a new sponsor of SeniorNet in New Zealand. They have already contacted all their customers offering them a free membership at their local Learning Centre. In Kapiti, we hope this will bring us new members seeking assistance to access the AMI Online Insurance System. We have a number of short training videos to share with people and while keeping members personal information at arms length, our Tutors will be able to help AMI Customers to undertake their insurance business online.
Please don’t forget our other National sponsors – they’re important to SeniorNet and help us in many ways, including offering discounts to our members. They will all appreciate your support to help rebuild their businesses. Always show your membership card and ask if there’s a discount – you might be rather surprised! The best example is Noel Leeming where the SeniorNet discount extends well beyond computers to everything in their store!